I have been pondering these past few days over the Priesthood/Relief Society lesson that was taught this week about Joseph Smith and the First Vision. Our teacher did such a good job in presenting her lesson that I was struck by a few things.First, a quote by President Gordon B. Hinckley:
"Our entire case as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints rests on the validity of this glorious First Vision. It was the parting of the curtain to open this, the dispensation of the fullness of times. Nothing on which we base our doctrine, nothing we teach, nothing we live by is of greater importance than this initial declaration. I submit that if Joseph Smith talked with God the Father and His Beloved Son, then all else of which he spoke is true. This is the hinge on which turns the gate that leads to the path of salvation and eternal life."
Second: Satan is indeed very real. Just prior to seeing God the Father and Jesus, Joseph witnessed the power Satan can have over a person.
Third: That only by calling on the name of God could a person release themselves from the bonds of Satan. This was quoted so much better by Sister Butler, that hopefully I did it justice.
Fourth: Our instructor asked us to recall the first time we know the First Vision was true and how it affected our life then and how it affects us now. I was about 17 when I gained my testimony about Joseph Smith. After pondering what I was learning about in Seminary, the thought occurred to me one day while I was in the shower that this church really is true and that Joseph Smith really did see both the Father and the Son. I have never doubted since. How does it affect me now? Ask me today if I really believe that a simple boy of 14 saw God and I'll answer yes. Do I believe that God showed himself to ancient prophets? Yes and I still believe he has prophets on the earth today. I now am responsible to share my testimony with my children and to teach them to gain their own testimony that this event really did occur.
If you are unfamiliar with the First Vision or need to refresh your mind click here. http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=88021b08f338c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=a0e720596a845110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1
1 comment:
thanks for your testimony. as simple as it is to hear of the first vision over and over, it is a pretty powerful and unique experience documented that can be used to further our testimonies.
Post a Comment