About Us

My photo
Arizona
We started this craziness in 2002. A few years into it, we brought about our first little moneky and two years later, we added our second crazy little monkey. Things around here are definately all over the place, but we wouldn't want it any other way.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Tamales

Its that time of year, when yummy treats are being baked up, families gather for good food and fun and tamales can be found being sold in every parking lot.

Five years ago when we moved to South Phoenix, I didn't really give that much thought as to how prevalent the Hispanic culture makes up this area. I was shocked to say the least that a quick trip into the local K-Mart for a last minute stocking stuffer had me being solicited for tamales. A man, all bundled up in his winter coat come up to me, and with a very hush-hush voice and only said "tamales?" Like a deer caught in the headlights, I shook my head no. I rushed into the store as fast as possible. I could scarcely believe what had just happened. Was he serious? I was convinced had I said yes, the man would have opened his coat and shown me a whole selection of tamales to choose from.

As Christmas time approaches each year, my Christmas in South Phoenix isn't complete until someone offers me tamales in a parking lot. So I wasn't as surprised last night when a little old Hispanic lady smiled and simply asked "tamales?" at the local Walmart parking lot. I smiled and shook my head no. Sorry lady, not this time.

Now lets be honest here, who in their right mind buys tamales from a random stranger in ghetto South Phoenix, in a parking lot? For all I know they could be your neighbor's cats or dogs. If I'm going to buy tamales, I'm going to get them from here. At least I know she's reputable.

Alas, Christmas time is here and tamales from the parking lot are only sold this time of year.

3 comments:

Meagan Kenney said...

This is the best news I've heard all week! We are having tamales and carne asada on Xmas Eve! I need some tamales...I may just give her a ring! That's pretty funny that they corner you at every location!

Torey said...

Yummm.. Tamales. I think I had the same run-in with that cute lil WalMart lady. I was always impressed with the solicitations I received in a simple WalMart visit.

smartmandy said...

I had some of Vivian's tamales on Sunday and they were GREAT! The masa is thin, just like it should be, the flavors are great... I highly recommend them! The green was a little hot for me, but the red was just perfect. And the sweet ones? Holy cow! Who KNEW they were so yummy?? Call her NOW!