About Us

My photo
Arizona
We started this craziness in 2002. A few years into it, we brought about our first little moneky and two years later, we added our second crazy little monkey. Things around here are definately all over the place, but we wouldn't want it any other way.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

White Wine

I know really? So there is this recipe I found in my new Costco cookbook they handed me the day after Thanksgiving. Sounds totally yummy and can't wait to try it out. Only there's one catch, it calls for 2 1/4 cups of dry white wine. Huh? Now in the past with other recipes I've heard that you could substitute the wine with chicken broth. Here's the other kicker, the recipe calls for 10 cups of chicken broth too. So now I'm stuck.
Alas, I went to the grocery store, kids in tow and headed down a new aisle. Looking for a "dry white wine" made me feel like I was a teenager staring at the Tampon aisle for the first time in my life. So confusing. I was totally overwhelmed. All the while I'm trying not to look totally guilty hoping no one from church would spot me in the dreaded aisle.
And then the questions:
"Mom what's this" (as he clawing at a cardboard box in the refrigerated section)
"It's beer, don't touch" (ahh, distractions from the overwelming selection of wines)
"What's that" (as he wrinkles up his nose)
"Its like wine" (thank goodness for that wicked King Noah and the children's scripture reader)
Than came this quick discussion as to why drinking beer makes Heavenly Father sad. Did I mention this is all happening in the liquor aisle? It was just too much and I left without my "dry white wine".
So someone save me from doing it again. I want a cheap, yet tasteful, wine that is good for cooking. I'm talking name for name on the label, description of where it is and what the bottle looks like. that way all I have to do is run in, run out.

7 comments:

Amberly said...

you're hilarious. I've had a bottle of white wine sitting on my counter for a month and when a little one asks what it is or for a drink, I just say it's for cooking... cause it is! no need to be so paranoid... although I did feel like such a liquor virgin looking for my first bottle. a lovely salesman gave me a few recommendations and probably thought I was a crazy person having no clue as to what I was doing!

Ashlee said...

From your former Bishop's wife: 2 Buck Chuck (really 2.99) from Trader Joe's works perfect for cooking purposes. You can buy any of the white wines that are in the 2 buck chuck section. Blanc something another, or the Chardonnay both work.

Sauvignon Blanc is the fancy name that I could not remember. Easily done!

Amy said...

hilarious. really. i had the same experience trying to buy my first cooking wine...except mine happened on a sunday {unexpected guests} AND i did run into someone from church. sheesh. at least they were at the store too, right?!?

so embarrassed.

Mike and Deb said...

also might be helpful for the explanation sake to explain that the bad part that Heavenly Father does not want us to have - goes away when we cook with it. Hallarious though!! I can picture the whole scene.

I have your scentsy stuff by the way. When are you ever going to come to this side of town again???

Meagan Kenney said...

Hmmm...this is controversial post for me since we Catholics love our wine! But a cute post all the same, and I respect your not drinking! Yes, 2 buck chuck is great (The real name is actually Charles Shaw) and Trader Joe's actually has a non-alcoholic wine selection. It's nasty stuff to drink but would most likely be ok for cooking! Which recipe btw? I have my cookbook too with all the pages dog-eared for the recipes I want to try! xoxo

PS- If you look in your Costco cookbook in the beginning they have this new helpful hint I just read- since you wont be drinking the rest of the wine. Put it in ice cube trays and freeze the rest and then you will have some leftover for the next recipe you need wine for, and it wont go sour!

Amber said...

Your story totally reminds me of a story my mom told me about only a couple of months ago. When my mom was newly married she had a recipe that called for dry white wine so she went to the store to get some. She had NO idea what dry wine meant so she asked someone in the store to show her where the powdered wine was ;o). We got a chuckle out of that one.

Britney said...

I got some cooking wine stuff at walmart in the isle that has like vinegar and stuff.