About Us

My photo
Arizona
We started this craziness in 2002. A few years into it, we brought about our first little moneky and two years later, we added our second crazy little monkey. Things around here are definately all over the place, but we wouldn't want it any other way.

Friday, February 11, 2011

I have underestimated my children, lesson learned.

Everyonce and a while I will check out a book at the Library that helps me learn more about being a better parent or understanding why in the world a 3 year old or 5 year old would behave in such a way. I am in no way an excellent parent, but I'm starting to better understand my kids and what works best for them. One thing that I almost alway come across is that you don't compare your kids to each other and you don't label them. "He is our athletic one" or "He is our smart one." And no matter how much I tried not to, I did. I couldn't help it. But I'm starting to see things differently. Read on.
When my oldest was born, he was truly a gift. When all else was done, he was gift. I will treasure that and I will always think that he was a blessing that the Lord just couldn't hold back. There was something different about him, he was spiritual by nature. By age 2 he could recite all the prophets in order and tell you something about each one. He caught on very quickly to "And it came to pass..." and could pick each one out of the scriptures. He was musical and by age 4 he could perfectly blow a trumpet. He now picks out songs on the piano by ear and drives me nuts. As a baby he was snugly, he could easily fall asleep on a drop of a dime and would be very frustrated that he couldn't get things done his way the first time. He ate what ever I put in front of him. Things came very natural to him.
When my second came along, he was supposed to be in our family and I knew that. Yet he was very different from his brother. He cried a lot more than his brother. Did not want to be held or snuggled. He hated trying new foods and wouldn't really eat. From the time he was 5 weeks old he went to ASU football games. He could hear the sound of a football game and instantly be drawn to it. He was more stalky than the other. He had a natural athletic build. He's not really into being sporty. He observed a lot and after watching a few times he knew how to do something. He didn't really respond to any kind of music, so I thought music ability was not for him. He wasn't one to sit and read a book, now when ever I can't find him, he's usually in the play room reading. I am always surprised that he can do things.
I hate to say that I expect more out of my oldest because I know he can do them, but didn't really put the same pressure or expectations on the second. And yet the second is showing me similar traits and attributes of the first. I am always surprised to learn that he can do something that I didn't think he could. He is just as capable of learning and recognizing things. I am the one who just isn't presenting the opportunity for him to learn. He is already showing a desire to learn the piano and plays very excitedly along with his brother's past Let's Play Music Cd's. I've learned that he can do things, its just his own way and his own time. I need to let go of my own pre-misconceptions of who the boys are and let them discover for themselves who they need to be. Lesson Learned. What have you learned about your kids individually and how are you helping them develop their own talents and traits?

1 comment:

Amberly said...

I like this post. I often look at Senny and wonder if she won't get things as quickly as Cooper did and put it off to the fact that she is quite a bit younger than he was at certain points and that I don't know what all of her genes contain. However, she will jump in with things that surprise me as well and I need to remember to offer her the same opportunities I did Cooper, regardless of the age gap, gender or genes. however, I believe it was easier for both us with jonas and cooper as they were our first and they got all of our attention. As much as I'd love to give the same to seneca and beckham, I don't have the same time available as I did for Cooper. I'm hoping that if I listen to the Holy Ghost and follow the promptings He gives regarding what my children need, that that will be good enough. Thanks for this post, good thoughts.