When I was a teenager and babysat way back when I baby sat for a family that had the tradition to unwrap a "present" every night. The present was always a Christmas book and each of their five kids took turns opening up a book. It was like an advent calendar. I remember babysitting multiple times one Christmas so we unwrapped a lot of books. I loved this idea and the thought was filed away in my head. Fast forward 10 years and my mom gave each family a set of Christmas books one year. I loved it. I knew that I would wrap each book the following Christmas and have my kids unwrap them each night. They love it and I'm glad that I was fortunate enough to have learned that tradition from that family.
Some books have been added, like classics like the grinch who stole Christmas and some books have certain dates to be read on like the night before Christmas and The Wooden Shoes which we read on dec 5th as it tells about St Nicolas. That book sets the stage for another christmas tradition of leaving out your slippers or wooden shoe like ours and finding a special treat from St. Nicholas.
I will continue to wrap my books each year hoping no matter what age they become they won't out grow traditions.

2 comments:
i love that tradition, jackie. are the same books used each year?? and what titles do you use/have? would like to start the idea, perhaps. thank you.
lindsay
Love it!
Post a Comment