About Us
- The Malone's
- Arizona
- We started this craziness in 2002. A few years into it, we brought about our first little moneky and two years later, we added our second crazy little monkey. Things around here are definately all over the place, but we wouldn't want it any other way.
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
When to lose the lovie?
My boys sleep with blankets. They have since day one and continue to still use them at night. They get played with, but generally are used for night time only. There are the occasionally stuffed animals or creepy baby that make their way to the bed too. The older boy has got into the bad habit of getting out of bed minutes after putting him down. This usually makes me pretty mad as it's some lame reason why he is out of bed. So tonight I told him before I turned out the light that I would take away his blanket if he got out of bed. Sure enough, 2 minutes later, he comes down stairs. So, being the parent I am, stuck to my words and took the blanket. Instantly he is crying. "I can't sleep without it" he sobs. I send him to bed without the blanket. It got me thinking, at what age do you take away the blanket? I was almost 8, my brothers told me that I was getting baptized soon and I couldn't have a blanket anymore. So I put it away in the closet. It was a rough, but I did it. I still slept with stuffed animals that I tucked in every night. I think I was 12 when I stopped tucking in the animals. Most web sites I came across said to let the kids keep their blankets as long as they are not in the way. They don't leave the house sort of thing. The boys keep theirs on their bed under a pillow. I did go up to Jonas and explained why I took away his blanket and hopefully that tomorrow night will be better. He understood. And he will sleep just fine tonight. So my question to you is, does your kid sleep with a lovie or have you taken it away? Did they give it up on their own or am I allowing my kids to say childish by keeping their blankets?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
My boys have their Blankets and I really don't have a problem with them. They were given to them as babies, and they love them. They do stay at home. It has come time to part with them, but only because they are torn up and falling apart.
Children grow out of things and ideas, but honestly blankets in my view aren't a big deal, there are worse things to get attached to. Their blankets are comforting.
Even as adult we have our comforts, and you don't see other people taking those away from us. We give them up willingly.
In the end, you know your children and you know what is best for them. You are a great mom. Good Luck
I have an old friend, she posted a pic of her husband sleeping with his teddy bear. This is an example of TOO LONG!! I slept with a blanket that my grandma made me untill it started to get torn up. I was probably 12ish. I knew I wanted to keep it nice so I have it packed away somewhere.... When you git sick of it tell him its time to scrapbook it and just cut a piece to put in is book. Good luck!
My kids each have a comfort item they sleep with each night. I was wondering what age was too long, too? Hmm, good question. :)
Well Madeline has her "deets" that are pretty much unrecognizable at this point and Caitlin has a small blankie too. I will let them sleep with them as long as they want. I want to maintain that childhood innocence as long as i can in this crazy world. I gave up my "Moe" mouse at about age 12-13.
Post a Comment