About Us
- The Malone's
- Arizona
- We started this craziness in 2002. A few years into it, we brought about our first little moneky and two years later, we added our second crazy little monkey. Things around here are definately all over the place, but we wouldn't want it any other way.
Sunday, April 3, 2011
Table Manners for monkeys
I'm not sure if its an age thing or maybe because I have boys, but table manners at the Malone house looks like a bunch of monkeys at the zoo. I have recently made the boys sit in chairs as there was too much wiggling and touching and silliness on the bench when they were together. (Worse thing I ever did was buy the bench, sure its cute, but a pain in the butt.) A typical night usually involves the boys setting the table. They are getting pretty good at it, but there are nights I have to remind them that we need something to eat with. They are pretty good at remembering that we say prayers before we eat. We are still working on keeping our eyes closed during prayer though. And then we spend the next half hour constantly saying "eat your dinner", our oldest is a bit flighty and seems to forget what he is doing. "Use your fork, not your fingers" is another favorite we say. I mean, come one, not everything is a finger food here. "Don't wipe your hands on your pants" but its usually too late and you can see food smears all other the clothes. What we don't have a problem is them eating all their food. They seem to be pretty good, especially if there is dessert involved. We have a "you've got to take one bite" rule. And if they don't want to eat, fine, breakfast will be at 7am. So needless to say, I'm open for options on how best to teach the boys. What is most important? Where do I start, what works? Please help, I would be terribly embarrassed to send these boys off on missions still wiping their hands on their suits or having them say "this looks gross".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Haha! Love this post! We're in the same boat, except we instill a TWO bite rule! I always make sure we have napkins at their place settings...but I think girls are different w/ messiness. Caitlin FREAKS, I mean FREAKS if she has anything on her or her fingers. Although now she has taken up belching at the table like a frat boy and laughing about it. I mean, what's worse than a beautiful blonde girl who burps at the table...on purpose!? ***sigh***
Please Help us too, I am ready to send my kids to eat outside, so I can have a nice dinner. Then we could just hose them off, sure would be easy. I know they don't learn that way.
I like the game Mannerisms, you play it at the dinner table over a series of nights and it's an action/reward system. We use it with my nieces and nephews and have had a lot of success with it.
http://www.mannerisms.ca/
We've made our own cards in order to teach them restaurant etiquette too.
Post a Comment