About Us

My photo
Arizona
We started this craziness in 2002. A few years into it, we brought about our first little moneky and two years later, we added our second crazy little monkey. Things around here are definately all over the place, but we wouldn't want it any other way.

Friday, October 21, 2011

I'm starting to wonder...

...If blogging is really what it is all cut up to be for me.  I mean, come on already.  I know that its been well over a month since I even posted and even more, when was the last time I really sat down to really post something worth while and worth reading.   I don't know, is it even worth it?
...If the idea of making halloween cookies was such a hit.  The older boy didn't even bother to even come see what I had pulled out to do.  The younger boy just kept stealing cookie dough to eat.  And now, the cooled cookies sit in the kitchen waiting for them to be frosted and decorated.
...If having that perfect "potterybarn" look for my house is even worth it.  I really, really, really, really (you get the point) want a super cute house where everything has its place and everything looks so cute that all who enter are secertly jealous of my wonderful house.  But the reality is, kids live here.  And not just any kids, its my kids who live here.  We currently have a small fort set up in the living room that the boys scream with terror anytime I go near to put it away.  The play room looks as though a large hurricane hit and all the toys were magically pulled out.  The sad part, this room gets cleaned up by them at least every other day.  What can I say, they play hard and mean business.  But it shows on my house, I can't keep up with them and their adventures.
...If taking the younger boy to the pumpkin patch was all that it was cracked up to be.  Will he even care or remember later on that we did these sort of things?
...If my 30 for 30 was too much to take on.  I have currently completed 4 or 5 things and many things already started like  9 out of 30 dates with my hubby or 2 of 30 books of scriptures read.  The running 30 miles a month for the whole year was just a plain crazy idea.
...If people are wondering why we haven't had another kid already.  Trent asked if he thought people judged us because we haven't had another kid.  I told him, those closest to us know our struggles.  But I will say the thought has been on my mind since he said it.
...If Christmas should be low key this year.  We have so many toys and games and stuff, that I'm wondering if maybe we need to have experiences rather than "Stuff".  Although, new dishes would be nice as would a few items for the back yard and house. 
...If there will ever be a day where I lie down and don't feel like I failed in something.  If I spend time with the boys, the house looks like we had been robbed.  Or vice versa, if the house looks great, then I've let my kids be entertained by Disney Jr.
...If there will be a day when I pick up the younger boy from school and the teacher will open the door and say "He was absolutely wonderful and so well behaved, he is a complete joy to have in class".  Rather than cringe to hear "Umm, I justed wanted to let you know he threw a ball at my face".
...If I can brag about the older boy without sounding too up and mighty about it.  There are things I want to write about him, but don't want to sound like my kid rocks and well, too bad for yours.
...If I should dye my hair again.  I can see the gray hairs, but can you?
...If the primary kids are actually learning the songs and how the program will do.  I had a sister in the ward ask if I needed help in teaching the kids to actually sing the words rather than yelling them out.  At this point, I'm just happy that some of the younger kids can remember the words.  And if yelling is how they can do it, great, at least I can say they know the words.
...If being a soccer coach was a wise thing for me this year.  At 6 and 7 kids should be learning tougher skills.  I just don't have the confidence in what I'm teaching them this year.

7 comments:

Meagan Kenney said...

Yes, I think blogging is worth it for you to keep up! I always check to see if you have a new post and honestly, get a little sad when you don't. But what is boils down to is what YOU"RE comfortable with. You can spend the rest of your life comparing yourself to others, wondering what others think about you/your family/your house....it's human nature to compare our lives to "the Joneses." But you just have to do what feels right for you, only you know.

Something that has always helped me is to think about "what I did get done" rather than "what I didn't get done" at the end of the day. Sometimes the kids have to watch TV a lot, sometimes I don't get the dishwasher unloaded...

And we are doing total low key Christmas this year btw. The kids have so much...and all their birthdays are relatively close to the holidays. I just cringe at the thought of MORE toys in this house! :) Love ya!

Sweating in the endless heat said...

I absolutely related to your post! I love the honesty that you expressed. I agree with the above post and that we should do what feels right for us, that we are the only ones that know. We have kids, and kids, I believe are here to help us know what is the most important thing. Yes, of course having a perfect looking house would be nice, but not realistic like you said:-) I hope you keep posting!

Unknown said...

Lots of thoughts that I agree with Jackie. If you are worried about a messy house, just come over to mine any day of the week and you will be blown away...literally with toys. We aren't perfect, and that's okay. I wonder about the activities we do with our kids too and wonder if they really will be remembered. Just think back to your childhood and what you remember. I remember doing the fun things, just not every moment. If anything, those activities should wear your kids out so they are a little less crazy when you get home. And don't worry about people judging you, we sure don't. We love you and your family, even those crazy kids (I can say that because I have a crazy one too).

Scrap Happy said...

Ditto, ditto. Love you J.

Shelly said...

I really hate the "season" saying, but there is some truth to it. Your boys are still little, and with that comes messes. When they get older, and they play with toys less and less, it gets better. And when they get older, they become your slaves which is even better!! A clean houses are for people with maids and no kids at home during the day. Your time will come and when it does, you will find yourself doing a million other things than cleaning. Im convinced that unless I hire someone, my house will never be perfect...unless I know someone is coming over =)
Your a great mom! Finn is the funniest kid on the planet and your kids are so smart and just good kids. Thats all that matters. Who cares what other people think-theres not enough time in a day to worry about all the things people may or may not think of you. No ones perfect! And your house is already way cute!!
Low key christmas is the way to go...too much crap! Kids remember experiences more than things. Im determined to make more traditions and make the Christmas season fun and not be so stressed out the whole month. Thats my present to the kids...to be "present"!!
And yes...you should definatly color your hair. NOt to cover greys, but because its fun!!

Ashlee said...

I'm wondering some of the same things, along with a bunch of others. When it comes down to it, I think discouragement is just one of the tricks the adversary uses on women. We all know you have the talents to have the Pottery Barn house, and frankly compared to mine, you do have it! Who cares if your kids watch a little TV? I say color your hair because it feels good...brag about your kids, they are fantastic. And on the baby front, really nobody should have an opinion on your situation. But yes, I know people wonder (not about you, just in general) and I know it is not fun to be in that boat. Just wanted you to know I love you and your honesty and your family. Keep up the good work!

Brittany said...

I love reading your blog. It's in your time and at your pace. It's fun just seeing your family grow and experience new things and that's including you as a mom. This post just made me laugh out loud several times because of your honesty and truthfulness to what life really is, real experiences and not just a "pottery barn" post that implies perfection. You've taken a lot on, just from reading this and it looks like a list of success rather than failure. Now go dye your hair you old fart! ;)