About Us

My photo
Arizona
We started this craziness in 2002. A few years into it, we brought about our first little moneky and two years later, we added our second crazy little monkey. Things around here are definately all over the place, but we wouldn't want it any other way.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Gratitude 8- sex

First off shame on you if you thought I would be so open and candid about my sex life. If you're really interested I will answer but not in a blog. I'm trying to stay at least PG rated.
In today's day in age, we are open, willing to share and understanding of our sexuality. But why is that? There's the women's lib that brought about an openness of being a free woman, there is a fight for an equality of marriage and then there are newspaper articles telling us to start early in talking to our kids about sex.
A few weeks ago I found an article in my church news in talking about how to talk with your kids about sex. It goes on to explain that it starts at a young age. And so it has. Yesterday my eldest asked me about a certain body part and what it is used for. Im so glad I had to take health class from fourth grade until i graduated from high school. It has helped me tremendously.
Because my son asked me what the things hanging from his body were, without hesitation, I was able to give him a clear understanding of what they were and how when he gets older, they are used to make building blocks of DNA (as he understands that) that help create children. Line upon line, precept upon precept. Nothing more, nothing shied away from. When he's ready for more, he will come back and we'll talk some more. I am glad my son is able to come to me and ask questions about his body and am I able to give him clear and precise answers. But for now he's content to know his body is able to make building blocks.

1 comment:

Alison said...

I've been reading a book by the Eyre's - they are the creators of joy school. The book is called 'how to talk to your child about sex'. It's true - the kids start young asking questions, making observations as you change a diaper, etc. Teaching them at home so they don't get educated in what the world says about sex. And to only answer the question being asked, not what we think is being asked and give too much information when they're so little. Love the analogy of our bodies being building blocks.