We choose Belize because we both wanted different things and Belize seemed to have it all. Trent wanted to sit on a beach and I wanted to have adventure. Our vacation started in the jungles of Belize. We stayed at Table Rock Jungle Lodge outside of San Ignacio in the Cayo district. It was only 5 miles from town, but it was 5 miles of muddy bumpy roads. We were defiantly out in the jungle. We arrive just as the sun set and it was wet with rain. My hair was crazy due to humidity. Our host was kind enough to show us to our room and explain that our cabana had a live eco system in the roof and not to worry when we hear the sounds of the geckos as they were probably enjoying a meal of bugs living in out roof. She also was kind enough to say that it best to pull back out sheets and shake out our pillows just in case a scorpion made himself at home. It made us a little nervous but made it part of the adventure.
Table Rock was beautiful and very relaxing. Imagine hammocks under thatched cabana roofs. They offered great adventures with our package and we got to experience some great things.
Table Rock was small but it had some fun other guest. We enjoyed the company with 4 older Brits who thought Table Rock was just a little too primitive. Yes it was primitive, but I loved every minute of it.
We spent a day at Tikal Guatemala. By far, this was worth it. We met our taxi driver early and headed down to the city center to catch the beginning of this 4 day canoe race that the whole country was following.
Tikal was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Loved it. Our tour guide was top notch and took us behind the scenes at many places. We had behind the scenes access to a royal Mayan palace.
We climbed up and down the Mayan temples.
Another adventure we enjoyed was the cave ATM. You literally hike 3 miles into the jungle, crossing the river 3 times. To enter the cave you have to stand out in the middle of the river and swim into the mouth of the cave.
While at Maya Beach, we toured Placencia Village. For some reason, I got it in my mind that the Village wasn't far from our hotel. So we grabbed the bikes from our hotel and rode 10 miles one way to the Village. Who's stupid idea was this? We rode 10 miles on a beach cruiser in the humidity. My bum was so sore, it was difficult to convince myself that it was worth the ride back to the hotel.
Now last but not least, on our last day, we had to fly out form the beach to the airport. I some how managed to sit as co pilot for the 30 minute light. Coolest thing every!
While I enjoyed Belize very much, I wouldn't move there. Nor would I be planning my next adventure there. I'm glad I went. It was a wonderful anniversary gift to spend 8 days with Trent.
4 comments:
what a fun adventure! it sounds like you got the best of both worlds, beautiful beaches and cool exploration trips- getting settled back into real life is always rough and all too soon it feels like it was just a dream!
Love all the pictures! So fun! Jim and I will have to check out Belize one day! ;)
How fun! I'm glad you posted some pictures, looks like you had a good time, and an adventure!
I did some of the same things that you did in Belize. It was nice to relive my vacation through yours :o). I freaked when I saw a gecko above my bed the first night. It took the locals to convince me that it was okay because the geckos eat the bugs. I watched it ALL night the first night though. I stayed on the mainland next to a town called Hopkins and then took a boat out to Ambergris Key for a few nights. I really enjoyed looking at your pictures.
Post a Comment