About Us

My photo
Arizona
We started this craziness in 2002. A few years into it, we brought about our first little moneky and two years later, we added our second crazy little monkey. Things around here are definately all over the place, but we wouldn't want it any other way.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Two choices

I hate it when we sit down for dinner and the first thing one or both boys say is "I don't like this ". "Well bud guess what, I didn't see you in here making dinner so you get what I made".
Its not like I'm making gross and exotic foods but heck, we sure as heck are not eating the same thing every week.
Oh how I miss the good ole days of food group when I made what was brought to me in a bag. And if it was gross I could blame it on someone else and if it was a winner we added it to our favorites list. (I can assure you though, very rarely did we ever have gross food for dinner group. )
But none the less, times move on. And if I had three butternut squash in my Market on the Move basket this week , you better believe we're going to eat some form of butternut squash.
Years ago we told the boys they could have one food that I wouldn't make them eat. Personally if I had to eat canned peas I would vomit all over the place. So it's only fair they get one food they can choose not to eat. That doesn't mean I won't make it. The boys chose mushrooms. Say what? Who's weird kid are you? Trent and I love mushrooms.
So needless to say butternut squash soup was not a winner and our youngest actually chose to eat a container of raw mushrooms. He was convinced that mushrooms had to taste better than that soup!
After all was said and done he went back to the soup. He got half way through a mushroom and suddenly pushed all the bits and pieces out of his mouth. So he went back to the soup, which by this point was room temp. I had to keep from laughing out loud as his gag reflex would kick in and you could see him trying to down the soup. ( I don't want you to think that I'm an awful mom and forced him to eat it. Plus we had rolls with it so he did it that. )
So that's what happens around here when you don't like dinner. You can choose. But here's my question to you? What do you do for your kids when you serve up something "they don't like it"? For the most part I have champion eaters who eat fairly healthy and have good appetites.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

My kids have to eat as many "no thank you" bites as they are old. They do not enjoy those bites, but it makes them try new things instead of just deciding they don't like it without trying it.